Screens 3 and iOS 7

Screens3 waiting for review

With the iPhone event behind us, we can finally tell you about the upcoming update of our flagship product: Screens 3.

We started working on Screens 3 last year with a complete rewrite of our VNC/SSH engine, which is now bulletproof, much faster and a huge improvement over its last iteration. You will see the results right away when you start using Screens 3.

With all the rumors about iOS 7, we decided to spend the first half of 2013 planning the update instead of just jumping into coding; what features should we add, which ones should go away, what can be improved, etc. When Apple first announced iOS 7, we were glad we waited!

Then right after WWDC, we came back to Montréal with tons of ideas and energy and spent countless hours building our vision of what Screens 3 should be.

Upgrading to Screens 3

Screens 3 will be a paid upgrade and is completely separate from the old version. This means that Screens 2 will be removed from the App Store once Screens 3 is available.

If you choose not to upgrade, Screens 2 should work just fine on iOS 7 and you will be able to re-download it from the Purchases section of the App Store app.

Please note that we will no longer actively work on Screens 2 and will concentrate our resources on iOS 7 from now on.

Update: We forgot to mention that Screens 3 will seamlessly import all of your saved connections from Screens 2. Moreover, it plays along very well with Screens 2 for Mac, which will also receive a major update later this fall.


If all goes well, Screens 3 should be available on the same day as iOS 7, which is September 18, 2013. Join our mailing list to learn when Screens 3 will become available or follow us on Twitter.

We hope you will like what we’ve built for you!

Comments (8)

  1. Luke Redpath
    September 12th, 2013 at 3:51 pm

    As a software developer, I’ll be the first to support the rights of other developers to charge for major updates. I have no problem with Screens 3 being a paid upgrade – I can continue to use Screens 2 if I do not want to upgrade.

    However, simply dropping support for Screens 2 seems like a bit of a slap in the face to existing customers – aren’t you basically saying: should there be any bugs or serious issues in Screens 2 that stop it from working properly, then tough shit. Upgrade or we don’t care.

    It would be much fairer on existing customers to phase out support for Screens 2 – you obviously can’t support it forever but it would seem much more reasonable to say: “we are dropping support for Screens 2 in 3/6/9/whatever months time – up until that point we will continue to release bug fixes”?

  2. edovia
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:06 pm


    The App Store just isn’t made with that in mind and we do not want to have 2 different versions of Screens on sale as it could create confusion amongst customers.

    I know it’s not ideal but Screens 2 should be fine – it hasn’t had any special updates that could break the app all of the sudden and it’s still compiled against the iOS 6 framework, which won’t change.

  3. Arno
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

    Can’t wait! Even though I’ve been using Screens 2 on all iOS 7 betas with no issues whatsoever…
    Can you tell us what the price will be for Screens 3?

  4. edovia
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

    The price will remain the same: USD $19.99.

    We can’t wait either! 🙂

  5. Luke Redpath
    September 13th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

    @edovia I realise the App Store doesn’t make this as easy as it should be.

    It is possible however to remove an app from sale, but upload a new version later should you need to. This would result in the app re-appearing in the app store again, so you could simply limit the duration that the update is made available (say a week or two).

    You could also price the old app something very high and update the description to make it clear that users should purchase the new version instead.

  6. Luc
    September 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

    While this would be an option, it would be a lousy one and create a ton of problems.

    Sorry to disappoint you but Screens 2 will go away when Screens 3 hits the App Store. It will remain available to past customers from the Purchases section of the App Store app.

  7. Michael
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

    Can those who bought screens 2 a least get some kind of a discount? i’d love to upgrade but considering i just bought the app 2 months ago, it seem like a slap in the face to have to pay $20 again if want the updated look of iOS 7 and the new features… had i known that the upgrade was gonna be a paid version i would have waited

  8. Luc
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

    I understand your frustration but Apple doesn’t provide us a way to set a different price to let current users to upgrade for cheaper. I assure you that if they would, we would be happy to give our current users a discount.

    We started from scratch with Screens 3, rebuilt our connection engine, got more people involved in the project, spent more time design and coding the app, etc. The app was a very big investment in time and money.

    If we want to stay around, update our apps and release new versions of those apps in the future, we need some kind of revenue.

    Moreover, we launched Screens 1.0 in december 2010 and offered 2.0 as a free upgrade a year later. So it’s been almost three years since the last time we had a paid upgrade.

    Screens 2 is still a valid and working app nonetheless. There won’t be any active support (again, Apple doesn’t provide a way to update apps that are not on sale) but we made sure it was running fine on iOS 7. You can still use the app and decide to upgrade to Screens 3 later.

    Many developers are offering major updates to their apps as paid upgrades: Omnigroup (, Reeder, Instacast, Realmac, Apple, etc.

Comments are closed.